Paints and Coatings
The finest grades of FRILITE® microspheres are the best choice for paints and coatings, which are usually applied in thin layers. The FRILITE® microspheres, cenospheres and perlite spheres offer the formulator a wide range of types and grades for the ideal formulation of new and ground-breaking paints or coatings with outstanding properties for a wide range of applications.
- Low density: Thanks to the lower density, more surface can be covered at given layer thickness and thicker layers can be applied without any sagging risk. Compared to other fillers the risk of demixing of the paint is reduced to a minimum (density similar to water or solvents).
- Low thermal conductivity: Paints and coatings which have microspheres as fillers will have an insulating and fire protective effect.
- Low thermal expansion: There is a reduced risk of shrinking and therefore cracks caused by day/night or winter / summer temperature gradients can be avoided.
- Inertness: Mineral hollow microspheres improve the resistance against demanding weather and environmental conditions (chemicals, corrosion, salt, water).
- Hardness: Paints and coatings are better protected against mechanical wear and tear.
- Dimension stability: The FRILITE® microspheres remain permanently dimensionally stable and reduce the risk of aging.
- Spherical shape: The FRILITE® microspheres reduce the viscosity of paints and coatings by means of the ball bearing effect, when produced and applied, with less water or solvent (less VOC). Paints and coatings will be sprayable, which is more efficient, saves cost and dries faster (without crack risk). The FRILITE® cenospheres or perlite spheres have a better packing factor and allow higher filler loads and, by this, increase the opacity of the paint or coating
- White colour: Especially FRILITE® W-Series and P-Series with their white to off-white colour will make pigmenting easier