Bituminous Products and Polymer-based Sealants
Thanks to their lightweight, mineral hollow microspheres are important in bituminous products and polymer-based sealants in cases where larger surface areas or thicker layers are to be applied or larger volumes of the sealing agent have to be moved. With FRILITE® microspheres the density of a bitumen- or polymer-based sealant compound can be considerably reduced – and thus can the costs. In less demanding environments, the FRILITE® P-Series moreover offer the unique advantage of being customizable with exactly the right mechanical stability to withstand both, the manufacturing process and the requirements of the application, but at the same time they are as light (and inexpensive) as possible.
- Weight savings: 1 kg can cover more area, work speed increases, load carrying stress is reduced
- Thicker layers: due to the reduced specific weight of the bitumen compound thicker layers can be applied on vertical surfaces, without the risk of sagging
- Insulating effect: the thermal conductivity is reduced
- Temperature resistance: the softening point is increased
- Fire load: the addition of FRILITE® microspheres reduce the risk of fire
- Shrinkage with age: is reduced because FRILITE® Spheres remain permanently dimensionally stable
- UV reflection: Avoids heating up and slows down aging
- Rheology I: FRILITE® microspheres reduce the viscosity through ball bearing effect, which causes a higher deformation rate of the compound and thus allows faster production processes (from mixer to shaping) and application, for example pumping through a longer hose to a spraying device
- Rheology II: The ball bearing effect of mineral hollow microspheres causes a higher elasticity even in cold state, which means that sealing sheets, for example, adapt more easily to uneven surfaces
- Building applications: bituminous sheeting for roofs
- Elastomeric sealing materials for train tunnels or car underbody protection.